The First Generation
Winans Fine Chocolates and Coffees can be traced back to Walton’s Pastry Shop in Bryan, OH. Charles Walton owned bakeries in Michigan and then in Bryan. His wife’s diary entry dated Sunday, February 10th, 1929 first talked about making candy for the bakery. Three of their four children – Charles, Max, and Edla – followed their father into bakery businesses of their own. Edla met and married one of the bakers, Wayne Winans, in 1925.
The Second Generation
After the wedding, Wayne and Edla opened a bakery in Tarpin Springs, FL. Later, they owned bakeries in Georgia; Ionia, Michigan; and Piqua, Ohio. The Winans Bake Shoppe in Piqua was located in what is now the Main Source Bank parking lot and operated from 1933 to 1946. For a short period of time, he co-owned Gerlach’s Bakery with Louis Grunnert. Wayne retired early but helped his son’s, Max and Dick, open their bakery in Bellefontaine and then later in the Carriage House in Piqua. Rip worked until his death in 1978.
The Third Generation
Max and Dick Winans opened Winans Carriage House Candies in 1961 and ran it along with their Bellefontaine bakery. Their first candies were hand-dipped chocolates and hard tack. Originally, the retail store and manufacturing were all housed at the Carriage House in Piqua. Max and Dick split the business in the early 1970’s. Max operated the chocolate business and Dick operated the bakery. Max remained in Piqua and raised a family with his wife, Jean, and their four children – Greg, Laurie, Andy, and Tim. Max owned and operated the business until his daughter, Laurie, and son-in-law bought the business in 1993.
The Fourth Generation
Joe and Laurie Winans-Reiser bought Winans Carriage House Candies from Laurie’s father, Max, in 1993. Joe had apprenticed making candy with Max during busy holiday seasons. Joe added coffee to the product line in 1994. At that time, the name was updated to Winans Fine Chocolates and Coffees. Joe began roasting his own coffee in 2003. Additional stores have opened in Troy (1994 and 2004), German Village (2011), and Upper Valley Medical Center (2012). Franchising started in 2003. Current franchise locations include Vandalia, Dayton Mall, Maineville, and Dublin, Centerville, The Greene, Beavercreek.